EastBanc, 3307 M St., NW, Suite 400, Washington DC, 20007
EastBanc offers the opportunity to grow your career and to advance in the real estate investment industry. We seek out the brightest and foster a culture that believes in “working smart” within collaborative teams while allowing your personal strengths and successes to shine through.
This position performs a variety of complex functions under the direction of the Property Manager. Duties include, but are not limited to, the installation, testing and repair of building Heating Ventilating and Air Conditioning Equipment such as VAV boxes, Self Contained Indoor Environmental Units, Pumps, Fans, Water Treatment Systems, Humidifiers, Building Automation Systems and Associated Controls, Fire Alarm/Automated Fire Suppression Systems, Complex Electrical Equipment, Generators and all equipment and tasks associated with operating a Class A office building. Other duties will include plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and other tasks associated with maintaining the asset.
Directs work involved in operating and maintaining heating, cooling, and ventilation equipment. Formulates and arranges plans to update systems or reduce operating costs. Analyzes and solves technical maintenance problems. Assures security and fire alarm systems kept in good working order. The Chief Engineer is trained in all phases of the life cycle of a building and develops an appreciation of the building as an advanced technological system requiring close integration of many sub-systems and their individual components. Technical problems are identified and appropriate solutions found to improve the performance of the building in areas such as:
- Energy efficiency, lighting and acoustics;
- Construction management;
- HVAC and control systems; Indoor air quality;
- Advanced building materials; building envelope;
- The Chief Engineer is responsible for the operational, maintenance and repair of systems and equipment of building/property operations.
- Reviews employee performance, conducts employee evaluations and provides or arranges training programs as needed.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operation, maintenance and repair of mechanical and electrical equipment in the property.
- Provides hands-on service operations and maintenance of building systems.
- Directs all engineering department activities.
- Oversees and directs engineering staff by development of work schedules.
- Develop and implement systems preventive maintenance programs.
- Establish and maintain inventory of needed tools and spare parts; establish supply sources and contractors for emergency service.
- Supervise contracted maintenance and service vendors.
- Maintain up-to-date building plans, design information and equipment specifications.
- Develop, implement and maintain energy conservation programs.
- Review building and tenant alterations to assure conformity with design criteria.
- Develop and maintain operating manuals.
- Prepare budget estimates and reconciliations for building operating costs.
- Secure and maintain any permits or licenses required by law or code.
- Daily review of log entries from the previous work day.
- Prepares for Property Manager’s review, all Requests for Proposals for services to be performed.
- Develop and administer monthly training sessions for all engineering staff.
- Oversee the preparation of the sundry billing charges and audit for accuracy
- Maintain oversight of all keying schedules.
- Assist in the preparation of the monthly operating report, annual budget and capital improvement programs.
- Provides on-call support for after hour issues that may arise within the facility. Position is considered part of the essential personnel to the asset. May be required to work weekends or Holidays.
- Demonstrate and maintain Outstanding Customer Service in all areas of responsibility including those of subordinates.
- Maintain knowledge of applicable municipal building codes. Exhibits familiarity with OSHA, NEC, NFC and Life Safety Codes.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Qualified candidate will have 10 to 12 years’ prior experience in engineering management, commercial building operations and maintenance. Candidate must have knowledge of energy management techniques, plant operations, building systems operations, repair and maintenance, and familiarity with security operations, cleaning procedures, emergency and general building procedures. Be able to demonstrate organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to use time efficiently, and proficiency at problem solving, ability to supervise other on-site personnel, common sense and good judgment.
- D.C Third Class Steam Engineers License Required and computer proficiency a must, specifically Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Accredited technical school, military or college certification in HVAC and or Operating Engineering Technologies and/or equivalent job related training and experience.
- Universal CFC certification.
- Continuing education in the field.
- Building Automation/Direct Digital Controls Experience
- Able to climb ladders and work from heights during the normal performance of duties, physically capable of lifting a minimum of 50 pounds or more of equipment and materials.
- Employee has demonstrated to management that they have achieved the level of experience, initiative and knowledge base to merit the position.
General Certificate of Engineering (National Association Of Power Engineers)
Required classes include:
General Certification of Electrical Proficiency (National Association Of Power Engineers)
Required courses include:
General Certification of Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (National Association Of Power Engineers)
Required courses include:
Certified Supervising Engineer (National Association Of Power Engineers)
Required classes include:
TPC Safety Training
- Passing Test Scores Required
Online courses may be substituted (NAPE National PMEM Certification)
BOMI FMA Certification May Be Substituted
Performs maintenance, troubleshooting and minor repairs to ensure proper operation and maintenance of building and grounds.
This position works in the area of Maintenance and Operations. Work contacts include administrators, outside vendors, contractors, regulatory agencies, and general public. Equipment used includes various power and hand tools and building energy management system.
This position reports to an assigned administrator; receives general direction regarding routine and standard matters and specific instructions regarding non‑routine and sensitive matters.
This position oversees outside contractors.
Monitors, maintains and troubleshoots problems with the building's utility systems to ensure proper operation including mechanical, plumbing, electrical, life safety, and energy management systems; familiar with governmental codes and regulations related to safety, fire, construction and public access; performs preventative maintenance on the following: air conditioning cooling towers, closed loop water treatment, heat pumps, air filters, floor drains, etc; investigates and trouble shoots all equipment failures and malfunctions before calling outside repairmen; coordinates and supervises work performed by outside contractors for maintenance and construction; performs minor repairs or remodeling projects such as painting, replacing broken toilet fixtures, etc; makes keys, installs locksets, maintains and adjusts hardware; prepares and hangs doors; maintains and replaces supplies and equipment such as toilet supplies and fluorescent light fixtures; monitors the areas outside the building for problems, such as roof, parking structure, asphalt paving, and landscaped areas; performs related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Abilities
Knowledge of: heating, ventilation, air conditioning, plumbing, electricity, carpentry, painting, grounds keeping and housekeeping; equipment and vehicle maintenance.
Ability to: troubleshoot and perform minor repairs in most operational areas of institutional maintenance; supervise the work of outside vendors and contractors; read and understand technical instruction manuals; communicate effectively orally and in writing and establish cooperative working relationships with persons contacted in the course of performing assigned duties.
Training and Experience
Any combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge and abilities. An example of this would be experience in the operation, maintenance and repair in one or more of the institutional maintenance areas involved.
Special Conditions of Employment
This position is on 24‑hour emergency call.
Positions in this class may require bending, climbing and lifting 50‑lb. objects.
This class specification is intended to indicate the basic nature of positions allocated to the class and examples of typical duties that may be assigned. It does not imply that all positions within the class perform all of the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned.
We offer our employees a competitive package of benefits which includes health and financial insurance.
Medical, dental, vision.
Short and Long Term Disability Insurance.
401(k) retirement program with matching. All employees are eligible to participate after 6 months.
More information about EastBanc and its principals can be found here